Running Satara Smarter: How Course-Specific Training
Turned 1:56:01 into 1:54:30
A case study in hill training, segmented pacing and
energy management at the Satara Hill Half Marathon
Satara Hill Half Marathon | 6 September 2026
Dilip Ghadge | Age 59
|
My Result |
2026 |
|
Chip Time |
1:54:30 |
|
Overall Rank |
271 / 7,716 |
|
Gender Rank |
260 / 6,516 |
|
Age Group |
Male 55–59 |
|
Age-Group Rank |
8 / 509 |
|
Bib No. |
59057 |
Finishing 8th out of 509 runners in my age category
and improving my Satara PB by around two minutes was satisfying.
But the more interesting achievement was how I did
it.
Last year, I finished the Satara Hill Half Marathon in 1:56:01.
I was happy with the result, but not with the amount of effort and stress it
took.
This year, I wanted to find out whether I could run Satara
faster—not simply by pushing harder, but by understanding the course,
training specifically for it and executing a better race plan.
The experiment worked.
And the segment-wise comparison between the two races tells
an interesting story.
Last Year: A Good Result, but a Stressful Race
My problems began even before the race.
I entered the packed corral early without a proper warm-up.
By the time the race started, my body had cooled down.
Satara gives you little time to settle—the climbing begins
almost immediately. The crowded opening kilometres made it difficult to
establish rhythm, and just as I started feeling comfortable around km 4, the
notorious climbs of km 5, 6 and 7 arrived.
I pushed continuously, didn't hydrate properly and spent too
much mental energy chasing average pace.
Later, I attacked the long descent, but when I returned to
the city, my tired quads struggled even on the relatively mild rolling terrain.
The Problem With Average Pace at Satara
On a flat race, average pace is extremely useful.
At Satara, the constantly changing terrain makes it
misleading. Looking at overall average pace doesn't necessarily tell you
whether you are running the current section well.
You start calculating:
How much time did I lose on that climb? How much should I
recover downhill? What average pace do I need now?
That sounds easy in hindsight.
At kilometre 12 of a hard race, the brain already has
enough work keeping you running. Constant mathematics only adds stress.
After last year's race, I made a mental note:
If I run Satara again, I will run it better.
I knew there was room for improvement—not necessarily
because I could become dramatically fitter, but because I now understood where
I had gone wrong.
Step One: Train for Satara, Not Just for a Half Marathon
This time, my training tried to reproduce the specific
demands of Satara.
Because the race starts climbing almost immediately, I
deliberately began many training runs with elevation rather than always
allowing myself several easy kilometres first.
On alternate weeks, I used progressive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and
6-minute hill repetitions. Finding a six-minute continuous climb isn't easy
in a city, but I found a hill providing approximately 60 metres of elevation
gain over one kilometre and used it sometimes.
I added hilly long runs, a treadmill session with
approximately 30 minutes of steep incline running, and regular 10–20
second hill sprints.
I also included specific strength training for the quads,
glutes, hamstrings and calves, with particular emphasis on single-leg
strength and stability. This helped prepare the legs not only for climbing, but
also for the eccentric load of the long downhill and the tired final
kilometres.
Step Two: Stop Treating Satara as One 21.1 km Race
This was probably the biggest strategic change.
Instead of chasing one average pace for 21.1 km, I divided
the course according to terrain.
|
Segment |
Course Character |
Race Objective |
|
Km 1–4 |
Moderate to heavy climb |
Settle, don't panic |
|
Km 5–7 |
Monster climb |
Controlled climbing |
|
Km 8–10 |
Moderate climb + rolling |
Recover while maintaining progress |
|
Km 11–13 |
Heavy rolling + turnaround |
Stay controlled |
|
Km 14–18 |
Major descent |
Use gravity without destroying the quads |
|
Km 19–finish |
Tired legs + city rolling |
Race the finish |
For each segment, I assigned a target average pace based on
the elevation and my previous year's performance. I programmed these segments
into my COROS watch about two weeks before the race.
I also practised programmed, segmented running several times
before race day so that following the watch became familiar.
That removed a surprising amount of mental load.
Instead of constantly asking:
“Am I still on target for 1:54?”
I only needed to ask:
“Am I running this section according to plan?”
Step Three: Don't Start Cold
This year, I completed a proper warm-up before entering the
crowded corral. Even inside, I kept moving with small jumps and movements
without disturbing other runners.
Interestingly, I was slightly slower over the opening
kilometres.
But there was a major difference:
I wasn't pushing hard just to maintain the pace.
What Actually Happened? 2025 vs 2026
When I compared the watch data afterwards, the numbers gave
me perhaps the most useful lesson from the entire experiment.
|
Race Section |
2025 |
2026 |
Difference |
|
Km 1–4: Initial climb |
22:30 |
22:45 |
15 sec slower |
|
Km 5–7: Monster climb |
21:52 |
21:01 |
51 sec faster |
|
Km 8–10: Climb/rolling |
17:02 |
16:59 |
3 sec faster |
|
Km 11–13: Rolling/turnaround |
15:28 |
15:27 |
1 sec faster |
|
Km 14–18: Major descent |
22:21 |
22:35 |
14 sec slower |
|
Km 19–21: Final city section |
15:02 |
14:25 |
37 sec faster |
These segment totals are calculated from watch kilometre
splits and are intended for comparative analysis. My official 2026 chip time
was 1:54:30.
The fascinating thing was that I wasn't faster everywhere.
Far from it.
Finding 1: A Slower Start Was Fine
I was 15 seconds slower over the opening four kilometres.
Normally, seeing yourself behind last year's pace during a
PB attempt can create anxiety.
But I wasn't stressed. Unlike last year, I wasn't pushing—I
was controlling.
Those 15 seconds didn't worry me because actual race was
ahead.
Finding 2: The Training Paid Off on the Monster Climb
Then came the three kilometres I had specifically trained
for.
|
Km |
2025 |
2026 |
Improvement |
|
5 |
7:24 |
7:06 |
18 sec |
|
6 |
7:26 |
6:58 |
28 sec |
|
7 |
7:02 |
6:57 |
5 sec |
|
Total |
21:52 |
21:01 |
51 sec |
The section I had trained most specifically for produced the
biggest early gain:
51 seconds in only three kilometres.
Yet I didn't attack the climb recklessly.
I took water and electrolytes at the aid station, poured
water over my hot body and even walked a few steps where necessary.
Last year, I had suffered a side stitch in this section,
possibly because I had been pushing continuously from the beginning. That was
somewhere in my mind, but fortunately it didn't return.
I concentrated on segment average rather than individual
kilometre pace, trying not to let it drift much beyond 7:00/km.
Most importantly, it didn't feel as though I was pushing
harder.
That, for me, validated the course-specific training.
Finding 3: Recover Without Giving Time Back
Once the hardest climbing ended, the temptation was to
accelerate immediately.
I deliberately resisted it.
I took approximately one kilometre slightly easier, allowed
the body to recover, and then gradually returned towards the target pace.
Across kilometres 8–13:
2025 — 32:30
2026 — 32:26
Almost identical.
But that was exactly what I wanted.
I recovered without giving back the time I had gained.
Fuel, Hydration and Cooling
I carried gels but chose not to use them. With adequate
carbohydrate loading beforehand and an expected race duration under two hours,
I felt comfortable concentrating on hydration and electrolytes.
That was my personal race-day decision rather than a
strategy I would automatically recommend to every runner.
The important difference from last year was that I wasn't
too stressed to use the aid stations properly.
I drank water, took electrolytes and used wet sponges for
cooling. A few seconds spent doing that were part of the plan rather than
something to fear.
The race arrangements also deserve appreciation: the aid
stations were well stocked and volunteers were always ready to help.
Finding 4: I Actually Lost Time Downhill
After the rolling section around the turnaround came
approximately five kilometres of significant descent.
This was where I expected to gain time.
I didn't.
|
Section |
2025 |
2026 |
Difference |
|
Km 14–18 |
22:21 |
22:35 |
14 sec slower |
I was actually 14 seconds slower this year.
I was slightly more cautious, and two-way runner traffic
made taking the best racing line through the hairpin curves difficult.
Initially, those 14 seconds looked like time lost.
The final kilometres made me wonder whether they were
actually an investment.
Finding 5: The 37 Seconds That Mattered Most
When I entered the city again, I looked at the total elapsed
time on my watch for the first time.
Some quick maths told me that the final section needed to be
better than last year.
And this was where the difference between the two races
became most obvious.
|
Km |
2025 |
2026 |
Gain |
|
19 |
5:13 |
5:01 |
12 sec |
|
20 |
5:09 |
4:49 |
20 sec |
|
21 |
4:40 |
4:35 |
5 sec |
|
Total |
15:02 |
14:25 |
37 sec |
Thirty-seven seconds gained in the final three full
kilometres.
Last year, by this point I was surviving.
This year, I was still racing.
I took water without walking and maintained my pace. My
watch recorded the final approximately 300 metres at around 4:26/km.
After everything Satara had thrown at my legs, I could still
accelerate towards the finish.
That, perhaps more than the PB itself, told me that the
plan had worked.
What Did I Learn?
The comparison was surprisingly simple:
I gained time on the ascent.
I lost some time on the descent.
I gained substantial time when it mattered most—towards the finish.
The PB wasn't created by attacking every kilometre harder.
Understanding the challenges of the course changed my
entire approach. Course-specific hill and strength training, segmented
pacing, a proper warm-up, better hydration and a controlled descent helped me
conserve enough energy to race the final kilometres strongly.
Last year, I tried to run Satara fast.
This year, I tried to run Satara intelligently.
The PB was the consequence.
About the Author
Dilip Ghadge is a marathon and ultramarathon runner
who started running in his late 40s. He has completed 25+ full marathons,
including the 7 World Marathon Majors, and is a Comrades Marathon finisher.
A trained marathon coach, he coaches recreational runners and is the founder of
the Borgaonkar Rotary Kalyan Marathon.
His interest goes beyond finishing races—he enjoys studying
training, pacing and race data and applying those learnings to improve
performance with age.
— Dilip Ghadge (DG)

Awesome.. Scientifically explained and very well executed.Thanks for sharing the knowledge Sir..
ReplyDelete